Scarlet fever is a common contagious infection caused by bacteria group-A streptococci which is also responsible for strep throat. Scarlet fever or scarlatina is common in children especially those who previously suffered from strep throat.
The most common symptoms of scarlatina are:
- Red rashes: They typically appear on the face, neck, extending to the trunk, arms and legs. Rashes appear like sunburn which tends to get pale when pressure is applied to them.
- Red lines: Red lines are skin folds around groin, armpits, elbows, knees, neck etc. which appear markedly red than the surrounding rashes.
- Flushed face: Face appears flushed during scarlet fever.
- Strawberry tongue: This is a characteristic symptom where tongue looks bright red, bumpy covered with white coating exactly appearing like a strawberry.
- Other symptoms: Symptoms include fever about 101 degrees Celsius, sore, red throat, difficulty in swallowing, enlarged glands in the neck, nausea, vomiting, headache etc.
Scarlet fever commonly spreads from one person to other. Immunity plays a very important role in the spread of disease as children with lower immunity are more likely to acquire illness.
It is conventionally treated with antibiotics and anti-pyretic drugs till the fever and inflammation subside. However, a wide range use of antibiotics lately has made Streptococci highly resistant to most antibiotics. This has caused frequent appearance of ‘atypical scarlatina’ where rash is not present, but the samples test positive for beta-haemolytic streptococci. The use of antibiotics can cause more vital organs to be affected adversely causing nephritis, polyarthritis etc.
Since immunity plays a major role in the disease, homeopathy is a far superior choice of treatment. Homeopathy boosts the immunity if the child, and helps the body fight the disease in a natural way. It assists the body in bringing a rapid, gentle and holistic healing without any side effects. Bacteria do not get resistant to homeopathy and they are eliminated effectively and safely by wisely selecting the homeopathic drugs.
Most common homeopathic remedies used for scarlet fever are Belladonna, Apis Mellifica, Rhus Tox, Scarlatinum, Gelsemium, Aconite, Arnica etc. These drugs are prescribed on the basis of symptom similarity, the disease presentation, and the overall physical and mental make-up of the patient. This makes homeopathy a customized medicine designed especially for the individual offering a broader scope of recovery, and even healing through the convalescent stage easily.
These medicines must be only taken from an experienced homeopath after giving a full detailed history for easier, safer and faster recovery from scarlet fever.