Acute mental illness is characterized by the sudden development of distressing symptoms that affect mood, thinking, and behavior requiring immediate medical intervention. It might be a person’s first development of the symptoms or repetitive episodes.
The mental illnesses can be:
- Anxiety disorders
- Eating disorders
Acute mental illness has a great impact on a person’s daily life and relationships.
- Cannot concentrate
- Confused thinking
- Guilt feeling
- Mood changes
- Withdrawal from social involvement
- Delusions, hallucinations
- Trouble in understanding
- Cannot cope with daily life
- Indulging in alcohol or drug
- Change in eating habits
- Violence, anger, abusive
- Suicidal thoughts
Who are at risk of developing mental illness?
There are certain factors that increase the risk of developing mental illness including:
- a blood relative, such as a parent or sibling, with a mental illness
- Stress financial problems, a loved one’s death or a divorce
- Chronic medical conditions: diabetes, hypertension, hypothyroid
- Brain injury
- being assaulted
- Use of alcohol or drugs
- Being abused or neglected as a child
What is the role of homeopathy in the treatment of acute mental illness?
Hahnemann was agonized by the suffering of ill and the treatment received by patients of mental illness. This suffering was the pivotal reason why he left allopathic medicine and discovered the spiritual science of homeopathy. He had special concerns for mentally ill patients, so, he started his 1st mental hospital and generated brilliant insight into the suffering which is reflected in aphorisms 210 to 230 in the Organon.
Homeopathic medicines are capable of giving immediate relief in acute mental illness. The strike lies in accurate observations of the patient’s behavior, case taking from relatives, deriving totality, repertorial approach, differentiating closely related remedies and prescribing the similimum.
To find out more about the practical approach towards acute mental illness with Homeopathic management, watch this homeopathic webinar by Dr. Manoj Patel, Professor & HOD Psychiatry who will guide you through the most challenging cases managed with Homeopathy.
Click here to watch the webinar
Highlights of the webinar:
- Explore the role of homeopathy in AMI [Acute Mental Illness]
- Understanding the nuances of the case receiving/ taking in patients with the help of observations & attendant’s history
- Experiencing challenges of managing case in IPD with homeopathic therapeutics & learning importance of the team approach in handling case in IPD (acute mania)
- Study of Organon and how to apply Hahnemann’s insight/understanding of mental illness to practice
Repertorial approach & differential Materia Medica