Irritable Bowel Syndrome or IBS is the most common functional digestive disorder. Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a mix of belly discomfort or pain and trouble with bowel habits. Approximately 10-15% of the global population suffer from IBS.
The most common Symptoms include:
- Abdominal pain or cramps
- Gas or Bloating
- Alternating bouts of diarrhoea or constipation
- Mucus in stools
Symptoms often vary in different individuals; these episodes may come and go in intervals lasting from few days to few weeks to months at a stretch.
The cause of Irritable Bowel Syndrome remains largely unknown. It is probably related to increased sensitivity of the intestines. This increased sensitivity could be towards:
- Foods: such as chocolate, spices, beans, cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, carbonated beverages etc.
- Stress: Patients with IBS often notice their symptoms flare up during periods of stress
- Hormones: Women are more likely to suffer from IBS due to frequent hormonal changes and the symptoms exaggerate during or before periods.
- Illnesses: An episode of acute gastroenteritis may also trigger IBS.
The treatment of IBS requires elimination of high gas forming trigger foods, eliminating gluten or even dairy products in some cases. Conventionally, fibre supplements for constipation, anti-diarrhoeal, anti-spasmodic medicines and antibiotics. Anti-depressants are prescribed in patients with stress or depression. Counselling is also required in patients with IBS.
Homeopathy, being a natural and a holistic medicine, is found to be of immense help in IBS. Homeopathy aims to completely eradicate the root cause of IBS providing a long-lasting relief. IBS calls for a treatment where emotional triggers or stress has to be addressed. Homeopathy has been proven to soothe the mind, alleviate the anxieties, and to help body’s stress coping mechanisms. Even on the digestive front, homeopathy helps to slow down the hyper-sensitivity of the bowels, and reduce the symptoms of IBS.
Homeopathic remedies are selected on the basis of complete past and present physical as well as mental history. The medicines are individualized to suit that particular case.
Common Homeopathic Remedies for Irritable Bowel Syndrome include:
- Aloe: Suits patients with cramps, bloating and faecal incontinence
- Antim Crud: Symptoms follow a heavy meal with alternate constipation and diarrhoea; patient has a craving for sour foods
- Argent Nit: Patient with severe anxiety; diarrhoea before an important event; craving for sweets.
- China: Symptoms of watery diarrhoea, dehydration, fatigue
- Ignatia: IBS with stress being the pre-dominant factor.
- Veratrum Alb: Watery diarrhoea with cold sweats; symptoms worse after fluids or fruits.
These are just few remedies explained; however there are innumerable medicines which effectively treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome from the roots. Homeopathy is definitely the solution to this common gastro-intestinal disorder.